We know when it comes to selecting an o-ring, the exact size and right material are of the upmost importance. If the size is slightly off, or the material isn’t quite right, you could be in for a disaster.
The Parker O-Ring Selector is “an engineering design tool that enables users to make the right material and size selections easily, quickly and reliably – in a single application.” It’s a well-designed, thoughtful tool that makes it easy to choose the right o-ring without a bunch of fuss.
Here are some useful tidbits to using the o-ring selector.
- You can start your search with an “imperial” or “metric” version
- You can watch a how-to video posted here
- You can search for certificates
- You can add any relevant comments in the Notes section
You’ll see that the Parker O-Ring Selector is divided into three main parts:
- Service Conditions & Material Selector
- Size Selector
The Services Conditions & Material Selector “focuses on mapping the material-related application conditions.” This is where you’ll be asked to input the operating temperature range (the minimum info needed for the tool to work). Fields for polymer group and seal hardness are included here as well. Next, the Advanced area goes in depth into learning more about the application you’re using.
Particularly, the “Filter by Fluid Compatibility” search field is really useful. Here you can select (and combine!) the fluids relevant to your application. This search and filter function searches a database of more than 2,500 different materials! Pretty cool.
The Size Selector section quite simply “calculates the installation conditions and the suitable O-ring.” You’ll see three segments:
- Hardware Configuration: detailed description of the sealing system
- Sizing Selection: focused on the comprehensive calculation of the system to be sealed
- Calculation Results: displays the calculated results in a structured manner
The Notes section is essentially the result of your o-ring selection. What’s cool is you can download the results into a PDF document, which makes it easy for you to download and share with co-workers or distributors.